Friday, June 11, 2010

Villa Adriana

fence/Teatro Marittimo/structure/crocodile statue/steps from one of the cryptoporticos

Yesterday we ventured outside of the city to see Hadrian's Villa in Tivoli. Its basically a giant ground with thirty or so buildings and structures that Hadrian built to get away from the city (I think). It was nice to see some actual nature and listen to some actual non-noise and walk around without having to dodge people left and right (even though it was approximately ten million degrees). We had to get as far into the cryptoporticos as we could to get any relief. Semi-subterranean structures are more effective than modern air conditioning, I swear.

Tivoli the city sort of reminded me of... Detroit, maybe? It was weird.

We had lunch at a restaurant with very interesting decor (to say the least), where I had to figure out how to get a shrimp out of its shell so I could eat it. I can't say I've ever attempted that before. Perhaps it will be more of a necessary skill when we go down to Napoli and the coast? Non lo so.

1 comment:

Laurent said...

Your pics keep taking my breath away :) For the 'Teatro marittimo', it looks so alive and authentic, I'd expect ancient romans to show up!

I can't wait to be able to travel again.

*going back to 6th floor to make paraformaldehyde solution*