Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Chiesa San Luigi dei Francesi

nave to altar/dome above the altar/Caravaggio altar details/front doors below choir/another shot of my future tattoo

A church dedicated to a French saint. There were carved signs in French instead of Italian (there were still Latin ones obviously); there was even a dedication to the French soldiers who died for Rome. I love French things; and to see the language in Rome made me very happy.

None of us are remotely religious, but Anna and I love the churches. Mostly because they are so ornate and beautiful. And we haven't even been to the Vatican yet... I've seen nothing of "ornate and beautiful" (and luxurious and over-the-top and excessive and ridiculous and all the other synonyms for that).

2 comments:

Laurent said...

The pic of the nave is fabulous. That was a good way to start the morning :)
All those churches are so ornate. They have the flavors of Versailles and Le Louvres

Kt D said...

I would absolutely love to see Versailles. Wait. No. I would absolutely love to live at Versailles.